We are looking for a strategic and entrepreneurial VP / Director of Finance to join Half Magic - an A24 portfolio company and new beauty brand from the creators of Euphoria. This role reports to the General Manager and will be responsible for driving the financial leadership of Half Magic, including building, managing, and scaling the financial and accounting capabilities of the business.
Our ideal candidate has an established track record scaling the finance organization of a VC-backed startup in the consumer space. This role is highly collaborative across Half Magic’s internal team, investors, and external partners (bank, vendors, outsourced support, etc.). We are looking for a candidate who brings an entrepreneurial mindset and agility to lead both high-level strategy and perform “in the weeds” execution.
Strategic Financial Leadership
- Provide financial leadership to Half Magic across all areas of the business
- Own the development, implementation, and scaling of Half Magic’s financial and accounting capabilities (e.g., AP / AR, liquidity management, working capital, LRP, etc.)
- Partner with senior management and Half Magic’s Board to develop business strategies that maximize revenue, profitability, and enterprise value of the business
- Partner with the GM and leadership team to build a budgeting and forecasting process, including working closely with department heads on how to optimize the financial performance of their departments
- Proactively stay on top of the industry landscape and serve as the go-to “thought leader” on the team around beauty / CPG transactions, M&A, and market implications
Forecasting and Reporting
- Build and maintain financial models to forecast the P&L, Cash Flow, and Balance Sheet of the business in partnership with an outsourced accounting firm
- Oversee all financial reporting including, but not limited to: monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, forecasts, budget vs. actuals analysis, planning & budgeting, financial analysis, etc.
- Manage relationships with all outsourced accounting / finance / tax partners
- Lead monthly and quarterly close to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting to internal team and investors
- Lead annual and quarterly forecasting in conjunction with Sales and Supply Chain to drive accurate budgets and strong inventory management
- Drive operational controllership and continuous process improvements across the business
- Develop KPI dashboard and perform financial analysis to help the company optimize business performance
- Partner with leadership team on capital raising efforts and ensuring an efficient capital structure for the business
- Liaise with A24 team (accounting, legal, finance, etc.) to ensure accuracy of consolidated financials and related needs
- Provide regular financial updates and required reporting to leadership team and investors
- Develop and maintain relationships across the financial community in the beauty / consumer space to proactively identify opportunities for Half Magic
Taxes & Compliance
- Oversee Half Magic's compliance with tax laws and regulations, including corporate tax matters, sales tax, and international regulatory requirements (partnering with external resources, where appropriate)
- Identify, assess and manage the impact of regulatory, tax, or accounting developments on the financial performance of the business
- Oversee insurance coverage for the organization (GL, EPL, product, etc.)
- Own any requests / required reporting with audit and regulatory stakeholders
- 10-12+ years of relevant financial and operating experience
- Ideally 5+ years of direct people management experience, including hiring, developing, and retaining high-performing teams
- Proven track record scaling finance organization at VC/PE-backed Startup
- Technical fluency across finance and accounting capabilities (e.g., GAAP reporting, financial modeling, working capital management, financial planning software, etc.)
- Excellent attention to detail with ability to deftly balance efficiency and precision
- A strong network of relevant financial, accounting, and tax partners; skilled at building trusted partnerships across internal stakeholders, investors, vendors, and external accounting / finance partners
- Experience with international operations and financial implications of a global business preferred
- Entrepreneurial spirit: aptitude for measured risk-taking, exploring unconventional ideas and thinking and the ability to move quickly on new opportunities
- Desire and ability to think both strategically and tactically, seeing the big picture for an early stage company and taking on everyday executional tasks that come with being part of a founding team
- Interest in the intersection of beauty, media, entertainment, and CPG
- High level of integrity, humility, diligence, and resourcefulness
- CPA preferred
We are looking for diverse perspectives. A24 / Half Magic is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all kinds of candidates.
In lieu of a cover letter, please help us get to know you and your experience better by answering the following two questions (please limit your responses to 250 words per question). Upload as a PDF in lieu of a cover letter:
- Please provide an example of how you scaled a financial / accounting process or team in our previous role(s)?
- What’s a macro trend or recent transaction in the beauty space that you’re excited about from a financial perspective?
Our target salary range for this position is between $125,000-200,000. This role is also eligible for an annual performance bonus, competitive healthcare, as well as other employee benefits.