A24 is currently seeking an attorney to join our Legal and Business Affairs team to provide support to business groups across the company with a primary focus on supporting the Production and International Sales Teams. You should be a motivated self-starter with a strong interest in intellectual property, film finance, film and television development, production and distribution. This role will be an integral member of a highly collaborative Legal and Business Affairs team.
- Assist in providing practical, day-to-day business and legal affairs advice to internal business teams on general legal matters affecting A24.
- Negotiate, draft and manage sales agreements and related financial documentation with international distributors, studios and global streamers.
- Handle any day-to-day business affairs issues and provide ongoing, proactive legal and business advice concerning all aspects of the distribution of A24’s content internationally.
- Provide legal support for international licensing, co-production agreements, film markets and festivals.
- Advise business partners with respect to legal rights and contractual responsibilities, guild agreements, intellectual property matters, claims and other matters arising out of the day-to-day production of film and television productions.
- Structure, negotiate, and draft a wide variety of domestic media and entertainment-related agreements including development, production and distribution deals, talent agreements, releases, licenses, partnership deals, services agreements, consulting agreements, music licenses, network deals, promotion agreements and option agreements.
- Support A24’s business units in drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including licensing, advertising, business development, marketing, events, and other commercial and operational contracts.
- Develop and maintain relationships at major talent agencies, networks, law firms, financiers, production companies, international distribution partners and other relevant industry contacts.
- Contribute toward improving deal parameters, deal memo templates, long form agreements, and departmental resources, processes and procedures.
- J.D. with strong academic performance and membership in good standing in New York or California bar
- 2-4 years of transactional experience working in a television or film business affairs department, legal affairs department and/or entertainment law firm.
- Familiarity with distribution-related and/or acquisition agreements, production clearance issues and ability to handle copyright and trademark matters
- Solid expertise with respect to guild and union agreements, contracts, and intellectual property law
- Strong attention to detail, project management, time management, long-term planning skills and creative problem-solving abilities
- Excellent writing and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, strong drafting abilities and a can-do, no job is too small, team attitude.
- Presentation skills; professional individual who can build strong relationships, both internally and externally, and is able to comfortably interact with all levels of employees.
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities, pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
- Humble, diligent and resourceful
Based in NY and LA, A24 is the Academy Award-winning film and TV studio behind feature films such as Lady Bird, Hereditary, The Farewell, Moonlight, Ex Machina, Amy, Room, The Witch, and Uncut Gems. A24 TV productions include the Golden Globe-winning Hulu comedy series Ramy, HBO stand up specials from Jerrod Carmichael and Julio Torres, Netflix docuseries The Confession Tapes and Exhibit A, HBO specials 2 Dope Queens and Pod Save America, and the HBO drama Euphoria starring Zendaya.